Thats not skating...........its falling with style

Hey im Beth,im 18 and studying theology in the ghetto of roehampton(innit blood), This blog is just my thoughts on life, love, my bloke, my monkey and my skateboard

Monday, September 25, 2006

The dreaded question

So i've been at universty for around a week now and this morning whilst i was munching on my Fruit and Fibre the question was asked, personally i feel this is the question all young Salvationists hate and will try and avoid this is how it went

Flat mate : so Beth why don't you drink or smoke, do you have a serous liver problem?

Beth : (choking and spluttering, can i just get up and walk out and they not notice?)
Will i'm a christian and i believe it is not right to subject my body to it. (phew lets move on and talk about the weather, its look quite dry!)

Flat Mate: well my granny is a christian she can drink

Beth: ( good point, crap will have to explain more) Well i go to the Salvation Army and we believe that it is not right to behave in that way.

Flat Mate: ( i swear her face was like it was christmas morning) Wow do you know Harold Bishop? can you teach me to play the tuba? can i see you on Sunday in your costume?

My flat were really interested and wanted to know about my beliefs and lifestyle.

So there it was 'the conversation'. I remember being told how difficult it was but how we have to be strong and stand up for our faith. Now i think its really not something we should be scared about saying but something that should just come naturally.

However if i did drink or smoke would i have ever told them about my faith or did i need the dreaded question?

4 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

ive had that question asked a lot. At 1st i thought exactly the same as you. it is difficult at 1st but once you've done its so easy to talk about. You may get the odd person who doesn't get it but most people respect you for it. If you ever wanna meet up for tea n a chat let me know! lol

5:07 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right, this will make me sound like I'm referring back to the 1930s or summat, but when I started uni I remember the first time a whole big group of us went out. We started off in the union bar and one of the guys went to get a round in so I said I'd help. He asked me:

What you drinking?

I replied that I'd have a Coke. He said: no really, what are you drinking?

This went on a further couple of times until he became profusely apologetic for not believing me in the first place. Interesting that it's often a way 'in' when talking to people but good question - would we open up without that being 'in the way'?

I guess for me I can't really answer that as it's now so long ago and it did happen as above for me, but it's kinda hard to say.

What a disappointing giant cop-out!

5:47 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Beth,
Been meaning to get in touch since you started Uni. Hope its going ok, been thinking about you.
I remember going through the whole 'dreaded question' when I was at uni too. Sadly it took a whole year before I answered!
Anyhow, praying for you. Have a great time
Bless You x

4:39 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:32 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home